Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nothing a Few Hot Packs Won't Fix

It's been a week since the last update on Riggins and his recovery from TPLO surgery. And what a difference a week makes!

I grew very concerned last week regarding the bruising and swelling of Riggins' leg, so I put in a call to the veterinary surgeon. He advised that I should place heat packs on the leg for 15 minutes and do so three to four times per day. He stated that results should be seen within a few days, and all swelling should resolve itself within five days.

I used one of the microwave gel packs that can be used for hot or cold application. I placed it into the microwave and wrapped it in a kitchen towel. It was pliable enough to wrap around Riggins' ankle, and he must have found it soothing because he didn't move. I also applied it to the back of his leg as well as some the area above his incision.

Within two applications, the swollen areas were no longer hard and began to feel much more fluid. Within two days, the swelling was virtually gone. Ah, the relief of knowing that we'd avoided a trip to see the vet!

Outside of the swelling and bruising, Riggins' goofy personality has returned in spades. You might be thinking this is a good thing. Uh, you haven't met this one...

For starters, Riggins is finally eating his food without assistance. We went from days and days of my feeding the kibble to him piece by piece to my simply holding the bowl for him. He's now chowing down all on his own.

I had to laugh at the many pieces of advice when I posted the "handfeeding" issue. Did people really expect me to not feed a dog who just had a bone sawed in two and reattached?! Would they refuse to feed a family member who didn't want to eat?! I think not!

Besides - and I've said it a million times - Riggins is not like other dogs. This one has the post-surgery sympathy routine down to an art. And why wouldn't he? Aside from the usual neuter, he's been operated on twice for cancer and now this.

Riggins only wants - when he's hurting - what we all want when we're hurting. A simple acknowledgment of his pain and a little help to get through the pain.

With the food issue finished, Riggins is also testing the physical limits. He so wants to burn energy that he has a unique technique when walking outside to go potty. He knows he has to walk on the leash; however, he also knows that the leash six feet long. So..That's easy. He waits until he's a full 6 feet behind me and then tries to "run" to be six feet in front of me. Wagging his tail all the way, I am screaming, "NO RUNNING!!!!!!"

Riggins' regular vet laughed when I told him of our little challenges. He reassured me that I'm doing everything I can to keep him calm...ex pen, leashed when pottying, etc. If I continue to do that, all will be right with the world.

Yesterday Riggins had 22 staples removed from his leg and is somewhat interested in licking the incision; however, he's good at listening when told not to lick. It must be itchy as it heals, so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

We'll continue to coast through the next two weeks and must arrange for his first rehab appointment in two weeks.

Until then...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment